Wednesday, May 14, 2008

First foot forward

Ahhh! The virgin post on a freshly created blog. I will endeavor to be gentle. First a little about myself, I am a part-time cashier/ part-time college student, thus I have all the qualifications needed to pass judgment on whatsoever should come to my attention. I will review anything in any format. Without further adieu, the first review.

2000's

That's correct. The entire decade up to this point. I spent a great deal of thought trying to decide what the definitive spirit of our age is. After careful scrutiny it is evident to me the prevalent mood of the decade has, thus far, been one of profound disappointment. A disappointing president, disappointing wars, disappointment all around.

George W. Bush was elected president at a time when the world seemed to run so smoothly for the American public that it didn't matter how lousy a person we elected president. I must admit that in the run up to the 2000 election W. seemed to me to be the candidate most resembling a shady used car salesman, which I suspect he may actually be at this moment in an alternate universe.

September 2001, possibly the most disappointing day in American history. It is the day the United States got shaken out of the decade long daydream that was the ninties and reminded that it shared the world with people and groups that were not overly fond of its foreign policies.

Over the decade entertainment in most forms grows more and more disappointing ads it relies on constant remakes and reality programing.

Only time will tell if this decade ends on the same dissappointing notes that ushered it in.

3 comments:

grudd said...

good review-
The 2000s may also be the decade that mainstream america realized that status quo will not likely allow us to survive as a species. The fuzzy blanket of 90s ignorance was pulled back, and that is indeed disappointing. That may be the upside also that causes us to make the sweeping changes needed for our grandchildren to live full healthy lives. When Dick Cheney said that "the American standard of living is non-negotiable", he really meant his own standard and those of his ilk, but maybe the rest of us know that we are ultimately responsible for our own demise, thanks in small part to the 2000s---it may not all be bad. I guess it just depends on what we do with our newfound knowledge.

Blabbadon: Boremaster of the 13 boring crusades said...

I, as one of many, have becoming increasingly pleased with the quality of my entertainment while my belief in the integrity of of our elected bodies as a whole falters.

remigious said...

MOAR POSTS!